Thursday, May 29, 2014

With Rev. Krulish and family (WPC/Vancouver). 
Contact: jaystoms@hotmail.com

Our week at Missionary Training International (MTI) has helped us to better understand how transitioning from one culture and one ministry to another has impacted our family. After the conference I was helped at the airline counter by a friendly African. I asked him where he was from, but he wanted me to guess. So I listened to his accent and guessed Kenya. He said that nobody ever guesses that so he gave me a free extra piece of luggage. I thanked him, and then asked if I could tell him a story. He said sure and gladly listened as I told him the story of Jesus’ ascension into heaven from Acts 1. This is our ministry, asking Africans about their countries and cultures and sharing 'God’s Story' through the stories of the Bible.    

 
While we are still trying to get settled we also getting ready to make another transition. At the end of July we are going to have to pack up and move from where we’ve been staying in Woodinville. Thankfully some dear friends are letting us stay at their house for August and September. So we are gearing up to move from Woodinville to Redmond and then in September we’ll be headed to South Africa.
In addition to packing and moving we have to finish our dental and medical check-ups. Fortunately, we qualify for the sliding scale at a local health clinic. Recently, Laura wanted to have a red spot on her forehead checked out so we went to their dermatologist. I had a couple of spots also, so we prayed that the doctor might advise me as well.  The doctor immediately looked at my forehead and said that he needed to freeze the spots and he said the same for Laura. The physician assistant asked if I was a patient and I said no. But the doctor said, ‘do unto others’ and went ahead and took care of it. It turns out he had worked in Africa and he even went to church and lived next door to one my old roommates. Ironically while we were having these spots frozen the office manager was keeping an eye on our girls while they watched the movie ‘Frozen’ in the lobby. I’m really grateful to have this taken care of even if I now look like Mikhail Gorbachev (if you’re old enough to remember him).
For now we’re still seeking to build our team of ministry partners. This means we’re out speaking at churches, entertaining and strengthening relationships.  As we have sought to incorporate Bible storytelling into our preaching and teaching the response here in the states has been very positive. One thing is for sure, people like it better than the way I used to preach. One man said that being in Africa had really changed my preaching. A ruling elder at one church said that he wanted to learn 'Biblestorying'. We’ve done this in Sunday services, Sunday schools, in schools and in home groups. Our schedule of speaking engagements is getting full but we would love to present at your church or home group. At the end of June we’re planning a two week ‘Mountain States’ trip where we will be speaking at churches and visiting old friends. We depend on the Lord and our ministry partners so we ask that you regularly pray for us and for the ministry that the Lord has given us in Africa.
Zikomo Kwambiri (thanks very much),
Reverend Jay, Laura, Clara, Katherine and Lauren Stoms
Contact: jaystoms@hotmail.com
Befriend us (Jay and or Laura Stoms) on FACEBOOK

PLEASE SEND MONTHLY SUPPORT TO:
Africa Christian Training Institute (Jay Stoms Ministry Fund).
P O Box 15621; Panama City FL 32406-5621

 
 
 

No comments: